1. Posner MR. Integrating systemic agents into multimodality treatment of locally advanced head and neck cancer. Ann Oncol 2010;21(7):246–51.
2. Pignon JP, Le Maitre A, Maillard E, Bourhis J. Meta-analysis of chemotherapy in head and neck cancer (MACH-NC): An update on 93 randomized trials and 17,346 patients. Radiother Oncol 2009; 92(1):4–14.
3. Mossman KL, Chencharick JD, Scheer AC, Walker WP, Ornitz RD, Rogers CC, et al. Radiation-induced changes in gustatory function: comparison of effects of neutron and photon irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1979; 5(4):521–8.
4. Mossman KL, Henkin RI. Radiation-induced changes in taste acuity in cancer patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1978;4:663–70.
5. Tanikawa K. Clinical and experimental studies on radiation injury to taste. Nippon Acta Radiol 1963; 23: 04–12.
6. Martin W, Klaus R. Anatomy of the Tongue and Taste Buds. In: Handbook of Olfaction and Gustation, 3rd Edition, 2015:639–65.
7. Cowart BJ. Taste dysfunction: a practical guide for oral medicine. Oral diseases2010;17(1):2–6.
8. Ruo RMG, Allis S. Radiotherapy-induced taste impairment. Cancer Treat Rev 2006;32(7):541–7.
9. Cohen J, Wakefield CE, Laing DG. Smell and taste disorders resulting from cancer and chemotherapy. Curr Pharm Des 2016;22(15): 2253–63.
10. Nguyen HM, Reyland ME, Barlow LA. Mechanisms of taste bud cell loss after head and neck irradiation. J Neurosci 2012;32(10):3474–84.
11. Mese H, Matsuo R. Salivary secretion, taste and hyposalivation. J Oral Rehabil 2007;34(10): 711–23.
12. Saleh J, Figueiredo MA, Cherubini K, Salum FG. Salivary hypofunction: an update on aetiology, diagnosis and therapeutics. Arch Oral Biol 2015;60(2):242–55.
13. Comeau TB, Epstein JB, Migas C. Taste and smell dysfunction in patients receiving chemotherapy: a review of current knowledge. Support Cancer Care2001;9(8):575–80.
14. Johnson FM. Alteration in taste sensation: a case presentation of a patient with end-stage pancreatic cancer. Cancer Nurs 2001;24(2):149–55.
15. Kokal WA. The impact of antitumour therapy on nutrition. Cancer 1985;55(1):273–8.
16. Mossman K, Shatzman A, Chencharick J. Long-term effects of radiotherapy on taste and salivary function in man. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys1982;8(6):991–7.
17. Sandow PL, Hejrat-Yazdi M, Heft MW. Taste loss and recovery following radiation therapy. J Dent Res 2006;85(7):608–11.
18. Chaudhari N, Roper SD. The cell biology of taste. J Cell Biol 2010;190(3):285–96.
19. Yamashita H, Nakagawa K, Nakamura N, Abe K, Asakage T, Ohmoto M, et al. Relation between acute and late irradiation impairment of four basic tastes and irradiated tongue volume in patients with head and neck cancer. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 2006;66(5):1422–9.
20. Yamashita H, Nakagawa K, Tago M, Nakamura N, Shiraishi K, Eda M, et al. Taste dysfunction in patients receiving radiotherapy. Head Neck 2006;28(6):508–16.
21. Boring E. Sensation and perception in the history of experimental psychology, New York, NY: Academic Press; 1942.
22. Ripamonti C, Zecca E, Brunelli C, Fulfaro F, Villa S, Balzarini A, et al. A randomized, controlled clinical trial to evaluate the effects of zinc sulphate on cancer patients with taste alteration caused by head and neck irradiation. Cancer 1998;82:1938–45.
23. Bartoshuk LM. The biological basis of food perception and acceptance. Food Quality and Preference 1993;4:21–32.
24. Epstein JB, Barasch A. Taste disorders in cancer patients: Pathogenesis, and approach to assessment management. Oral Oncol 2010; 46(2):77–81.
25. Sapir E, Tao Y, Feng F, Samuels S, El Naqa I, Murdoch-Kinch CA, et al. Predictors of dysgeusia in patients with oropharyngeal cancer treated with chemotherapy and intensity modulated radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2016; 96(2):354–61.
26. Fernando IN, Patel T, Billingham L, Hammond C, Hallmark S, Glaholm J, et al. The effect of head and neck irradiation on taste dysfunction: a prospective study. Clin Oncol 1995;7(3):173–8.
27. Halyard MY, Jatoi A, Sloan JA, Bearden JD 3rd, Vora SA, Atherton PJ, et al. Does zinc sulphate prevent therapy-induced taste alterations in head and neck cancer patients? Results of phase III double-blind, placebo-controlled trial from the North Central Cancer Treatment Group (N01C4). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007;67(5):1318–22.
28. Agarwal P, Upadhyay R, Agarwal A. Radiotherapy complications and their possible management in the head and neck region. Indian J Dent Res 2012;23:843.
29. Maheswaran T, Abikshyeet P, Sitra G, Gokulanathan S, Vaithiyanadane V, Jeelani S. Gustatory dysfunction. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2014;6(1):S30–3.
30. Malaty J, Malaty IA. Smell and taste disorders in primary care. Am Fam Physician 2013; 88(12):852–9.