ENT-Head and Neck Surgery Research Center, Hazrat Rasoul Akram Hospital , Iran University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: Tapia’s syndrome is a rare complication of recurrent laryngeal and hypoglossal nerve paralysis due to anesthetic airway mismanagement or malpositioning of the patient’s head during surgery.
Case Report: Here we present a case of Tapia's syndrome in a 22-year-old male after corrective jaw surgery under general anesthesia, with a long period of recovery, related to airway management procedures and/or overstretching of the neck during positioning for surgery. Conclusion: Although it is a rare condition, every surgeon should be aware of Tapia’s syndrome in order to consider the correct positioning of the head and endotracheal tube during surgery and avoid this complication.
1. Schoenberg BS, Massey EW. Tapia's syndrome. The erratic evolution of an eponym. Arch Neurol. 1979; 36:257–60.
2. Lim KJ, Kim MH, Kang MH, Lee HM, Park EY, Kwon KJ, et al. Tapia's syndrome following cervical laminoplasty – A case report. Korean J Anesthesiol. 2013; 64:172–4.
3. Nalladaru Z, Wessels A, DuPreez L. Tapia's syndrome – a rare complication following cardiac surgery. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012; 14: 131–2.
4. Gelmers HJ. Tapia's syndrome after thoracotomy. Arch Otolaryngol. 1983;109:622–3.
5. Gevorgyan A, Nedzelski JM. A late recognition of tapia syndrome: a case report and literature review. Laryngoscope. 2013;123:2423–7.
6. Park CK, Lee DC, Park CJ, Hwang JH. Tapia's Syndrome after Posterior Cervical Spine Surgery under General Anesthesia. J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2013; 54:423–5.
7. Sotiriou K, Balanika M, Anagnostopoulou S, Gomatos C, Karakitsos D, Saranteas T. Postoperative airway obstruction due to Tapia's syndrome after coronary bypass grafting surgery. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2007; 24:378–9.
8. Tesei F, Poveda LM, Strali W, Tosi L, Magnani G, Farneti G. Unilateral laryngeal and hypoglossal paralysis (Tapia's syndrome) following rhinoplasty in general anaesthesia: case report and review of the literature. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2006; 26: 219–21.
9. Ghorbani J, Dabir S, Givehchi G, Najafi M. Co-presentation of Tapia's syndrome and pressure alopecia-A rare event after septorhinoplasty: A case report and literature review. Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan. 2014; 52:38–40.
10. Kashyap SA, Patterson AR, Loukota RA, Kelly G. Tapia's syndrome after repair of a fractured mandible. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 48:53–4.